Green Card

Green Card Immigration Lawyer

Importance of a Green Card

A Green Card or an immigration Visa for Permanent legal residency is the certification for a foreign national to live and work in the United States – usually indefinitely. If you are going to apply for a permanent Visa to live or work in the US, you need sponsorship from a family member or employer. However, there may be other ways to get an immigration visa.

A Green Card proves that the permanent resident has been granted benefits that include permission to live and work in the USA. It is important to note that the cardholder must meet certain conditions and must file timely green card renewals in order to continue his or her permanent residency status.

With a green card application (in process), you can obtain two temporary permits (Employment Authorization Documentfor legal work in the USA and another permit to travel and re-enter the country). This is essential for non-citizens who want to work and live in the USA. However, the application can be tedious and it is important for you to be sure that you are eligible for a green cardbefore you file an application.

Eligibility Criteria for Green Card or Permanent Residency Visas

  • Immediate relatives of US Citizens
  • Spouses of U.S. Citizens (recent widows and widowers too)
  • Unmarried children under age 21 with at least one U.S. Citizen Parent
  • Parents of U.S. Citizens – if the U.S. Citizen Child is at least age 21
  • Stepchildren and parents of U.S. Citizens (if marriage creating the stepparent or stepchild relationship before the child’s 18th birthday
  • Adopted children of U.S. citizens – if the adoption took place before the child reached age 16

Marriage visas and work visas are also in this category; while long term residents without documentation who have resided illegally in the United States for a long period of time may be eligible for a green card.

It is important to schedule an appointment with a professional Green Card Immigration lawyer/attorneybefore attempting to get a green card. If your status (illegal residence) in the U.S. comes to the attention of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) you can face deportation procedures instead of getting a green card.

Green Card application process and approval by the USCIS is done in different steps and you need support from professional green card immigration lawyers.

Getting a sponsor and applying to a U.S. Consulate or embassy in your home country are important steps. An experienced and professional immigration lawyer from CIMA Law Group is familiar with all these procedures and will help your application process move smoothly. An immigration attorney helps you determine whether you are eligible for a green card under a preference category or as an immediate family member, etc.

Contact us today for a consultation.